Thursday, August 23, 2012

From Fixing to being a Tank

Ok, So i have been playing a bit of Templars in my local club and I have mapped out a pretty good list at 1500. Hopefully within this week I will be able to post it up here.

Let's see, what is new.......

Well I got myself a Rhino Chasis which was whirlwind. Lucky me since Templar's don't play Whirlwinds(not in our dex since its a sissy weapon). Ripped those off and converted them to my terminators as Cyclone Missile Launchers. Also got a couple more Termies and re mapped the squads. Took out the Assualt Termies altogether since the only effective ones were powerfist and shooting is so good in 6th might as well just keep PF and shooty Termies instead. That with tank hunters makes them scarey! (at least to anything under 14 armour)

Also I know that Templar's are my first true army and love in 40k and they will retain that however with a birthday recently past and not needing much else for Templars I am grabbing myself a Kabal. That's right: Dark Eldar for me as well. I will build them slowly I believe but I am excited to play another non psyker and super fast. Of all models in the game my favourite is the Reavers. Their ability to autohit by driving over accompanied by an amazing cover save when they are fast(+3) makes them Marine toughness and hard as nails to catch.(considering those nails are shot from a nail gun)

Ok Now for the meat and potatoes of this post: Techmarine Tanking.

It is common knowledge now in 6th that Tanking can be a great way to deliver that deathstar to the enemy. However instead of terminator lords or sarges recently I have started using my Techmarine for this. Templars don't get Sarges so the best way to do this is to use something that is preferably an IC and have that special save(2+).
The techmarine in full servo harness is our answer to this since we have no sarges and a 65 point castellan uses up a valuable force org spot and is stark naked until u add 25 to him for the term armour.
So we look to elites and though the techmarine is costly as 70 points+35 for the full servo harness he is the only(aside from the Champion) who has not only wargear immediately but gains a fair bit of wargear for 35 points. The Techie comes with a PF attack, PW(sword I recommend), Signum, Auspex and Bolter plus his healing ability on a 5+(to fix immobile, weapon destroyed or hull point). Then for a mere 35 points he gets another PF attack, Twinlinked Plasma Pistol, Flamer, a +2 armour save and +1 and a reroll to his heal ability.
He is literally a swiss army knife. Set him in your shooting squad to give them Auspex and Signum. Set him with a command squad or put him in Terminator armour too since he can take wargear and go with any squad he chooses.
So far I find he works best in a LR with a Crusade squad and the Champ. This allows me to soak wounds, give that squad some big punch or heal the LR if they decide not to assualt. Also that armour is not considered terminator so he can sweeping advance!

To give you an idea how to do this I recently play BA in a relic match 1500 points. He was in a LR with a 5man Crusade squad and the Champ. Now I did not want the champ to die to fire so when they got out and grabbed the relic I place the Champ in the back and the techmarine in the front most of the squad. The BA then hit that squad with snipers and 3 devastator squad(with Krak missiles). I used him to take all the wounds and when he failed them I used his 2+ look out sir to throw the missiles back onto the squad. Needless to say I survived the turn of shooting still holding the relic which should not have happened! thats 12 Krak missile shots!

anyways just some food for thought especially since in our dex we can give him wargear and we don't really need the elite slots. Instead of filling Termies there you can just take 2 Leaders(the Champ doesn't have to take up a slot according to his rules) and just bring two beefy term command squads with them.

MORE SOON!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment